Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Easy Strawberry Smoothie Recipe!

We love making smoothies, healthy ones that is! It took me a few weeks to get down a good basic smoothie that would make just enough for one large glass for me & give Ethan about 4 to 5 oz in his sippy cup. Smoothies are an excellent way to sneak in get in extra fruits, veggies and protein in your kids diets.

This strawberry recipe is very good and everyone will like it. For the liquid base to about all my smoothies, I use Pacific Natural Foods Organic Almond Milk. It is important to use organic with nuts because pesticides are heavily used. I like the Pacific Natural Foods Organic because they do NOT add any sweetener to it. Most almond milks I looked at contained evaporated cane juice. I may be talking about alternative sweeteners and should we use them later on in my event. However, ECJ is basically sugar! The Pacific Natural Foods tastes wonderful without any added sweetener.



Strawberry Smoothie Recipe:
  • 1 cup of Almond Milk
  • 3/4 to 1 cup of fresh strawberries sliced (you can use frozen too!)
  • 1 tablespoon of dehydrated coconut bits (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
  • 3 ice cubes (do not add if your strawberries are frozen)
Blend all ingredients at once in your blender. For laughs I took the photo by my "coffee" canister. However, in all seriousness consuming lots of raw fruits and veggies does give you lots of energy!


I used my yummy ripe strawberries from The FruitGuys then added a few ice cubes. I like my smoothies super cold. The coconut adds just a hint of coconut flavor. If you don't like coconut, just don't add it. Cinnamon is excellent for helping to stabilize your blood sugar. I add cinnamon to our oatmeal, granola bars, etc. If I'm eating anything with honey in it I try to add cinnamon to help offset the spike I would get from the honey. Feel free to add some whey protein powder as well. I have done this a few times to get some extra protein in mine or Ethan's diet. Just be careful and look at the ingredient list on your whey protein powder to see if and what it is sweetened with.  

I want to warn you, IF you are not currently following a healthy diet and still consuming sugar this smoothie won't taste good to you. I could do a whole post about how I think sugar is evil (lol). It totally masks the flavors of the foods you eat and you don't get to experience the real flavor of food. When you stop eating sugar your taste buds totally change and healthy foods taste so good!

Stay tuned for my next recipe for..........the Green Monster Smoothie!! This recipe your kids will drink ;-)

Get 3 extra entries on The FruitGuys giveaway when you comment on this post! After you comment here go to The FruitGuys giveaway and enter 3 separate comments such as "Earned extra entry #1," Earned extra entry #3," etc.

Photobucket


The thoughts and opinions expressed on my blog are my own and are not swayed by any monetary or product compensation. My personal health experiences may not be a typical result for others. The information I share on my blog may not be the views of the sponsors participating in my Healthy Living Event.

5 comments:

N.D. said...

This smoothie sounds great! I have been doing the same one everyday - frozen banana, frozen bluberries and amazing grass powder w/ swiss chard.

Shana said...

My toddler's favorite smoothie is banana, frozen berries, a handful of spinach, and milk of your choice (I typically use soy, but almond would certainly work well too). Yummmm, smoothies!

Emily N. said...

I love smoothies and this one sounds delicious. I plan on getting some almond milk the next time I go to the store.

RJ said...

Thanks for a great article! I really hadn't considered making smoothies, but this has caught my interest.

Kimberly said...

This is pretty much my morning breakfast every day. I use almond or soy milk, but never paid a ton of attention to the added sweeteners. I will check this week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails