Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Whole Wheat PopTarts Recipe

I've been craving something a little different this week for breakfast or a snack. I came across the Homemade Healthy Poptarts recipe on Heavenly Homemakers and they sounded so good! However, I made a few changes to the recipe and they still turned out great.

Whole Wheat PopTarts
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour (to make them a little lighter since I don't have fresh milled ww flour)
2 tablespoons flaxmeal (for extra protein)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of yogurt (I used my crockpot yogurt)
1 cup of organic palm shortening (I used Tropical Traditions, I'm loving this stuff for baking!)

Jam, Jelly or Preserves of choice for filling

Mix all ingredients (except for the jam) in a standmixer. I use my standmixer so it makes a nice elastic dough to roll out. If you don't have a standmixer then you can knead by hand for a couple minutes.

Roll out dough on a well floured surface into a rectangle and cut into desired shape. You will need 2 pieces to make 1 poptart. Spread a teaspoon (more or less depending on the size you cut out your dough) of your jam on top of one. Then place another piece of dough on top and seal the edges with a fork.

Bake on a cookie sheet for approx 18 minutes  at 350 or until lightly browned.


These are wonderful warm from the oven, but you can freeze the leftovers and put them in your toaster to warm them.

Here's my batch. I'm going to experiment rolling them out a little thinner next time.I'm also thinking about adding a dot of peanut butter in them :-)




Photobucket

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

2 comments:

N.D. said...

oh wow those look soo good!

Anonymous said...

How cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails