Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Project 365: Day 40 & Healthy Banana Muffin Recipe

Day 40

 

I had 2 really ripe bananas sitting on my counter today. I wanted to make banana muffins.....and I also didn't. I absolutely love carbs and sweets, it's my downfall. However, I wanted some healthy ones that I could freeze and reheat for breakfasts. Plus I need to get better control of myself, right? I'm always going to be around unhealthy food and not fear food anyway, that is just setting myself up for disaster. 
So I searched online for a while trying to find something healthy that called for white whole wheat flour and buttermilk. I have no idea why the buttermilk part, I just wanted to use what I had :-)

I ended up taking a few recipes together and altering it. I have never been good at altering recipes. I omitted the butter and oil most of them call for and figured the buttermilk and 1 egg had enough fat anyway. I doubled the amount of bananas and added more baking powder since sometimes whole wheat needs more to not make it so heavy. These muffins turned out fantastic!! So flavorful and moist! Hard to find that with a low fat recipe! I almost overcooked them so they may have been better.

Healthy Buttermilk Banana Muffins

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar (you could substitute with a healthier substance)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
1 egg
1 cup mash bananas

Mix all together. Spray 12 count muffin tin with baking spray (I have been using Extra Virgin Olive Oil spray and love it!). Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. 2 WW pts per muffin.
Photobucket

2 comments:

More Than Words said...

Oh my gosh, I totally love banana muffins, and yes, they are so fattening. My kids love it when I make it. But now, I won't have to feel so guilty with this recipe!!!

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

These look great, Chari! I have some buttermilk hanging out in my fridge that I didn't know what to do with - now I can make these! Thanks for sharing :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails