Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Felt Spinach Can Tutorial

Photobucket

Halloween is right around the corner and I have the boys costumes ready to go! I picked out Popeye and Swee' Pea costumes but decided they needed a little extra touch...spinach cans! These spinach cans were super easy and cheap to make. I know my spinach looks more like wavy green beans, but I wanted a dimensional look that was fast to create :-) I added 'crinkle' to the baby's can to it was more interesting to play with. Check out my tutorial below and look out for a Halloween costume giveaway within the next day or two!


Photobucket
You will need:
  • 1 piece of gray felt
  • 1 piece of dark green felt
  • 1 piece of light green felt (or your choice of color for the label)
  • 1 empty plastic disposable wipe bag
  • handful of poly fill
  • elastic (optional)
     Use a drinking glass to trace the size of can you prefer. You will need to trace out 3 gray circles and 1 dark green circle (not pictured). Then cut out a rectangle large enough for the main part of the can and a more narrow rectangle for the label. Use pinking shears to cut the top part of the can and 2 of the gray circles so it will have more of an opened up can look.

    I cut a 6 1/2 piece of elastic to wrap around Cole's hand. This was mainly for taking photos so I wouldn't have to keep propping it up. Feel free to omit elastic.

    First hand embroidery 'Spinach' on the label. I did this fairly quick because I wanted this to look more hand written than perfect lettering.
    Photobucket

    Pin the label on to the main part of the can and stitch. I used a decorative stitch.
    Photobucket

    Photobucket
    Fold over elastic and pin to can edge.
    Photobucket

    Fold can in half with right sides together.
    Photobucket

    Straight stitch side.
    Photobucket

    Take 1 gray circle and use a couple pins to attach to edge.
    Photobucket

    Using a straight stitch on your sewing machine slowly sew circle to the main part of can to make the bottom of the can. Felt stretches nicely so you can stretch some as you go if you need to.

    Photobucket

    Turn wrong side out. Bottom of can is finished!
    Photobucket


    Cut ends of your disposable diaper wipe bag to make the 'crinkle' for the inside of the can. Lay the ends on your handful of poly fil.
    Photobucket

    Roll up and stuff into can.

    Photobucket

    Take another small piece of the wipe bag and fold up to put in the center of the 2 gray circles.

    Pin together and stitch around edge.
    Photobucket

    Photobucket
    If you omit the 'crinkle' you could sew around the top a couple more times to make it look more like a can lid, but I opted not to on this can so the 'crinkle' would work better.

    Sew your completed lid to the inside of the can.
    Photobucket


    Next you need to cut 6 strips of dark green felt into stripes for the spinach.
    Photobucket

    Sew a few stitches in the middle of each strip to secure them to the circle Sew them on going in different directions, leaving the edges clear.


    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

    Hand stitch the Spinach circle to the inside of the can. I left  1/4 inch from the top.

    Photobucket


    All done!
    Photobucket


    Then it's time to give to your Swee' Pea and see what he thinks...

    Photobucket
    Photobucket

    He may like it so much he tries to run off with it ;-)
    Photobucket

    And just one teaser photo until I post my costume review....
    Photobucket

    Photobucket

    MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

    2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I LOVE how Cole is looking at Ethan!! My boys are going as a theme too- astronaut and alien. I'm trying to teach Mayer to say, "ooo" like the aliens from Toy Story. I have 3 weeks, it's possible, right? lol

    The Hunter Family said...

    ADORABLE! What a cute idea! I love the last picture too. so cute! You should enter them into a costume contest. :-)

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails