I was on a mission to make a healthier alternative with a natural sweetener and lower in fat, but still taste good! I spent some time online looking up various recipes. I never found one that was what I was looking for, so once again I created my own recipe. I'm amazed the first time I made it, it was good!
Vanilla Almond Milk Ice Cream
- 3 1/2 cups of vanilla flavored almond milk (heated slightly in the microwave)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
You can see I'm still working on that huge bottle of Mexican Vanilla Extract I bought in the Caribbean in January! The eggs are free range, anti-biotic free from my in laws. It's nice to get fresh eggs :-) A side note, save your egg whites from this recipe! Put them in a bowl and then after you make the ice cream mixture go ahead and scrabble them. You can keep them in the fridge until breakfast.
- Using a stand mixer (or use a hand one if it's all you have) beat the egg yolks until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add your warm almond milk while you are still mixing your egg yolks. Keep mixing for another minute after you add the rest of the almond milk.
- After mixing pour into a sauce pan and cook over medium high heat, constantly whisking the mixture.
- Cook mixture until it reaches to a boil. If your mixture looks like it is separating lower the temp slightly and whisk a little faster.
- Mixture will look slightly thickened (mine did not, but after it reached to a boil it was good for me!)
- Whisk in your vanilla extract and maple syrup.
- Pour into a glass bowl and cover with a piece of wax paper on top. Let it cool to room temp, then place in fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Next time I want to try blending in some sweet strawberries or perhaps some chocolate & nuts. Yum!