Thursday, April 29, 2010

We're Capable of So Much More!

WAIT! This isn't a post just about running! Keep reading...


One day after working out to Level 3 on the 30 Day Shred DVD it hit me what kind of exercise I love the most: the kind that kicks my rear so much I have no time to think about anything other than the motions by body is going through. The kind that you are so worn out afterwards that you know you gave it your all. When I'm kicking rear to keep up I don't get bored.

I have learned so much by working out to the 30 Day Shred DVD. When I first started Level 1, it kicked my rear.....or so I thought until I got to Level 3. I could barely keep up with the "easy girl" on Level 3 and now I'm pretty much keeping in pace with the "advanced girl" 100% of the time on Level 3. Wow. I'm shocked! Don't get me wrong, Level 3 is still so extremely tough. By the time I'm to the strength on round 3 sweat is pouring off of me. Working out with the 30 Day Shred I realized our bodies are capable of working out so much harder than we typically do.

Since I realized how I can push my body further and achieve greater fitness I have been giving it my all on my runs the last couple of weeks. Most of the time I'm running a consistent 9:15 to 9:30 minute a mile. There are only two long streets in my addition (the addition is tiny- only 1/2 mile long) and they have a nice slop all the way down. So going back up the slope I tend to slow some to about 10:00 minute a mile. If the wind is not bad I'm averaging around 9:40ish minute miles.

I have been surprised with myself. Never did I think I would run under 10:00 minute miles consistently. I have been doing a little reading and trying to educate myself on what it takes to become faster. So this morning I ran on the treadmill which I have not done in weeks. I decided to run negative splits (I may have the terminology wrong!), which means you progressively run faster with each mile (or that is how I broke up my run). This was my first time to ever do this. The first mile I ran a 10:00 minute mile which felt like a snails pace to me. The second mile I ran 9:30 (felt comfortable) and the third I ran 9:00 minutes(I had to push myself the last 2 minutes). However, when it was all done I still didn't feel totally spent (I need to research more about how to do these!). I could hardly believe what I just did! I have never ran a solid 9 minute mile before!

I have been running for 4 years now (minus the time I was pregnant with Ethan). Before I was pregnant I ran a few races, but I didn't know how to push myself and see what I was capable of. It's sad that I didn't. However, I'm so encouraged that I am now! Never in a million years would I have thought I could even run a 9 minute mile!! And a 10 minute mile feel like a snails pace are you kidding?! I know with some more hard work and determination I will get faster and stronger. My goal is to be able to run a 5k in 24 minutes. Who knows when that will be, but it is a goal I want to achieve. At most 5k races around here that will finish me in at least the top 5 women in my age group.

I'm sharing this with you to help you grasp what you are capable of. We are capable so much more than what we give ourselves credit for. I'm not talking just physically either! Really the only thing that holds us back from doing something is that 6 inches between our ears~it's a mental thing! Whether it's starting to eat healthy for life, taking up running, starting your own business, or any other venture in life we CAN achieve it if we just put our minds to it.

Photobucket

1 comment:

cwendel said...

I love this post - so encouraging and inspiring. Great attitude girl, keep it up!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails