I followed the Twitter chat and the delivery online. I don't know how many of you followed it as well. I don't know if the woman had any prior pain medications before her epidural, but she did an awesome job of handling her contractions if she had not. Many women participated in the Twitter chat and it was interesting to hear what all the women were saying. Some women were very supportive of the woman's birthing experience while others were not supportive of her medicated birth. As you can imagine these negative comments came from doulas and others who had a natural births. Some women even commented they wished they were able to have a vaginal birth. I was very surprised the negative comments I received after I commented that all that matters was a healthy baby in the end.
Listening to these women stirred up more emotions again about how judgmental moms are against other moms. I try not to participate in controversial topics, but I think I need to voice my opinion here on my blog.
In the short time I have been a mom I see time and time again how women are judgmental against each other. You know what the hot topics are:
- vaginal birth vs. c-section
- medicated vs. natural
- breastfeeding vs. formula feeding
- breastfeeding to 1 year old vs. breastfeeding through toddler-hood
- stay at home mom vs. work outside the home mom
- delayed vaccinations vs. regular vaccination schedule
- having several kids vs. having one child
As moms we all have our own opinions and beliefs about how we want our childbirth to be and how we want to raise our children. We also both have our own facts, studies and experts that we can "show each other why our way is the best". You could talk to another mom til you are blue in the face about your facts and studies and more than likely you still still not convince her that your style of parenting is best and if she wants to be a "good mom" she better switch to "your side".
I am going to talk about some of these hot topics:
- Medicated Birth vs. Natural Birth: The largest group facing judgment from the other is the medicated births. The majority of natural birthing women cast judgment on the women who choose a medicated birth. This was clearly demonstrated last night on the Twitter chat. For whatever reasons a natural birthing mom chooses her birth route, she is not a better mom because she chose no medications. She does not experience a better birth or a more enjoyable birth. I think some natural birthing moms were even surprised how pleasant the woman's medicated birth was last night as she was laughing and smiling! Yes, I believe a medicated birth is more enjoyable than a natural one. You can focus on the joy of the moment and not focusing on your pain. However, that is my opinion, and some natural birthing moms may feel that they experience a more joyful birth. I wish I would see less judgment from natural birthing moms to the medicated birthing moms! You are not a super woman, we all are! What matters is a healthy baby at the end of that delivery!
- Breastfeeding to 1 year old vs. breastfeeding through toddler-hood: The majority of woman only breastfeed to 1 year old or less. Women who breastfeed past 1 year old are often criticized saying how "dirty and gross" it is. There is nothing magical about turning 1 year old that makes feeding your baby wrong! Women continue to breastfeed their toddlers because of the benefits they believe it brings to their children. I just weaned my 14 month old although I really wanted to breastfeed until 2 years old. For several reasons I chose to wean earlier than planned, but that was my choice. Before I weaned him I had made it clear to family and friends of my plans to breastfeed him to 2 years old. I had many negative remarks made to me. It is very sad that my own friends and family were not supportive of my decision and felt the need to express their opinions to me!
- Stay at home mom vs. working outside the home mom: We all know the working mom gets criticized more here! I'm a stay at home mom, but we all have our own choices to make in life and do not criticize those who choose to work.
- Having several kids vs. Having 1 child: Both groups are criticized! Everyone seems to be nosy when you are having kids and how many. I really avoid asking this question to anyone unless it is a close friend. This is a very personal decision and really it is not anyone's business! Quite judging those who have 19 kids or 1! I have already been pressured by people to have another child already. Really, are they supporting me financially and have the right to tell me??
Just remember, there are millions of women out there who are trying to start a family and have a healthy pregnancy. There are also moms daily who give birth prematurely, have miscarriages or give birth to a sick baby. There are also moms who have a sick child and is fighting to live at this moment. Really all that matters to them is to have a healthy baby or child. If you have given birth to a healthy baby or have a healthy child YOU ARE BLESSED & THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!